It’s kind of bizarre, but I crave buffalo sauce all the time. All. The. Time! Buffalo-style baked cauliflower is usually what I opt for to curb my cravings in a somewhat healthy way. Baked turkey meatballs are always one of my go-to recipes for weeknight dinners. I tend to make a batch at the beginning of the week and heat a few up with a large serving of veggies for dinner. But when my grocery store was out of ground turkey a few weeks ago, I bought ground chicken instead… *lightbulb moment* I decided to wing it (no pun intended) when I was making my weekly meatballs and make them spicy instead!
Unless I’m cooking something new, I’ve never really been into following recipes. I generally just whip up what I have and eyeball things. My general meatball recipe is 1lb of meat, 3/4 – 1 cup of breadcrumbs, 1 egg… Then I just experiment adding random things to see what I like!
My baked buffalo chicken meatballs turned out to be SO. DANG. GOOD. I pretty much licked the bowl clean! With Superbowl Sunday this coming weekend, I figured I would share the recipe if you’re looking for a lighter option than chicken wings that is just as tasty!
1lb of Ground Chicken
1 Large Egg
~ 1 cup of Bread Crumbs
1/3 cup of Buffalo Wing Sauce (I love this one!)
~1/4 cup of Green Onion (chopped)
Pinch of Garlic Powder
Pinch of Salt & Pepper
Money Maker: Bolthouse Farms Yogurt-Based Classic Ranch Dressing
A little greenery… Since I came up with this recipe, I’ve poked around for others to see if I was missing anything. Most other recipes I’ve found use chopped celery, which would certainly be an option. (There’s a reason it’s always served on the side of wings!) I haven’t tried making them with celery yet, but I think they taste great with the green onion.
Most other recipes I’ve found add oil or butter and I just don’t think it’s necessary. Save the cals, you know?! (And have a beer instead. 😜)
When it comes to buffalo chicken, a side of ranch or blue cheese dressing is necessary. No questions asked, am I right? My all-time FAVORITE low-calorie ranch dressing is by Bolthouse Farms. It’s yogurt-based and only 45 calories per serving, BUT IT IS SO EFFING GOOD! (This is in no way sponsored, FYI.) I buy it in the cold section of the Whole Food’s produce area by the packaged greens. (I love their honey mustard dressing and caesar dressing, too!)
Finding the perfect buffalo sauce makes all the difference. I’ve tried a bunch of different ones, but I now buy Moore’s Medium Buffalo Wing Sauce exclusively. SO GOOD! (Plum Market sells it in Chicago, FYI.)
I eat mine as a meal with a fork, but if you wanted to serve as an appetizer, you can set them out with toothpicks!
1. Preheat your oven to 350! Break the egg into a medium-sized mixing bowl. I use a fork to break the yolk and lightly whip the yolk and whites together.
2. Add your spices to the egg and mix thoroughly.
3. Add your ground chicken to the bowl. Make sure the meat is evenly coated with the egg!
4. Add the buffalo sauce and chopped greens and use a fork to stir until evenly mixed.
5. Slowly add your bread crumbs! Continue to use a fork to mix in the breadcrumbs. I try to use as few breadcrumbs as I can, so I will fill a dry measuring cup with 1 cup of breadcrumbs and sprinkle them in, bit by bit, until the mixture starts sticking to itself like a ball. You’ll know when you have enough or still need to add more! I usually end up using somewhere between 3/4 cup and 1 cup of bread crumbs.
6. I put a piece of foil down on my baking sheet and lightly spray it with olive oil. I wash my hands (again) and lightly coat them with olive oil, too. (Just like I would put on hand cream…) I use a spoon to scoop out a meatball and roll it into a ball with my hands!
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
8. Like I mentioned, I’m a big fan of buffalo sauce so I actually lightly coat my meatballs in my favorite buffalo sauce once they’re finished. If you don’t like as much of a kick, leave them as is.
9. Don’t forget to dip them in the ranch dressing!
Enjoy! Let me know if you end up making them and what you thought!